Friday, August 29, 2014

Welcome, Baby Samuel!


On July 16, 2014, we welcomed the newest family member:

Samuel Christopher Tennant
7 #, 3 oz
20 inches long

His Name:  One day while I was pregnant, I was praying for a family member of mine.  Specifically, I prayed that he would respond to God's calling in his life the way that Samuel responded to God in 1 Samuel 3.  In short, God audibly called Samuel, and he, having "favor with the Lord," (1 Samuel 2: 26), answered God's call with complete willingness: "Speak, for your servant hears," (1 Samuel 3:10).  God spoke to him and proceeded to use Samuel's life in incredible ways for His glory!  We want our Samuel to use his life to glorify God just like his namesake did, as we are fully convinced this is his path to true fulfillment in life.

His middle name is Christopher because it's the same middle name as my brother, Adam.  We have so much respect for Adam, and we hope that Samuel will grow to be as sweet and selfless and servant-hearted as his Uncle Adam is.


Labor Day:  I was 39 weeks, 5 days along -  more pregnant than I'd ever been in all 3 of my pregnancies.  Contractions began around 6:15 a.m., and I will never forget being awoken by an 18-month-old who jumped in the bed and rolled onto my stomach as the contractions began.  My weekly OB checkup was already scheduled for that morning, and there my OB was able to confirm that I was in the early stages of labor.  She sent me home to get my hospital bag and my husband.  Our good friends, the Eldridges, were kind to watch our boys on short notice, and Paul and I headed to the hospital!  

Heading to the hospital!


Since the contractions were bearable and since we wanted to wait until the very last minute to be admitted, we parked at the hospital and walked around outside for almost 2 hours.  That certainly helped kick the contractions into gear, and by the time we were admitted, the less than pleasant contractions were 3 minutes apart.  And less than 4 hours later - with no pitocin, our Samuel Christopher arrived!



We are so grateful for a safe delivery and a healthy baby. 












The big boys are (still) learning to be gentle with baby Samuel.  Here they are meeting him for the first time!



Heading home from the hospital!



He was warmly welcomed from, literally, the first moment he entered into the house.


Every night, we pray this over our boys:

"May the Lord bless you and keep you.
May He make His face shine upon you and give you grace.
May you come to know Him at an early age,
and may you love Him and walk with Him all the days of your life.
May you live your life for His glory,
Which is your greatest joy."

That's what we pray for you, too, Samuel Christopher.  We love you so much, and we are blessed to have you as a part of our family!




No comments:

Post a Comment