Tuesday, February 14, 2012

"Fully Known and Truly Loved..."



"When over the years someone has seen you at your worst, and knows you with all your strengths and flaws, yet commits him- or herself to you wholly it is a consummate experience.  To be loved but not known is comforting but superficial.  To be known and not loved is our greatest fear.  But to be fully known and truly loved is, well, a lot like being loved by God.  It is what we need more than anything.  It liberates us from pretense, humbles us out of our self-righteousness, and fortifies us for any difficulty life can throw at us."
Tim Keller, The Meaning of Marriage (p.95)


Our marriage is imperfect. And we don't consider ourselves to have a model marriage.  But I praise God to be married to a man who has "seen me at my worst" yet "commits himself to me wholly."  Last night was a sweet celebration of that.

Paul brought these home for me:




with a wrapper that encouraged this:




But I didn't have to, because he also had these in hand:



And we shared a wonderful meal at my favorite restaurant (okay, Varanese would normally be our top choice, but we thought Macaroni Grill was a little more accommodating for stuffy-nosed sidekicks like this little guy).  




Though we love each other so imperfectly, I pray that our perfectly loving  Heavenly Father will enable us to be "fully known and truly loved" by each other.  I love you, Paul! 

No comments:

Post a Comment